Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dave Lewinski, who I work with quite often, came over my place to photograph Mooshoo and I for a project about people in Detroit. I still keep finding sparkles in my wood floor!


Jessica “Jaydee” Decker


Where were you born?
I was born in Detroit, and I grew up in Westland.

Where do you currently live? 
I live in Hamtramck, near Hamtramck Disneyland.

Where do you work and how long have you been there?
I work at Hour Media - I’ve been there for four years. For two years I was the Associate Art Director at Hour Detroit, and currently I’m the Art Director for Detroit Home, Metro Detroit Bride, and DBusiness magazine.

What did you do before directing art?
I worked as a graphic designer for George P. Johnson, a company that produces auto show exhibits, who I still freelance for sometimes. While I was in college I was an industrial seamstress - sewing giant banners and fabric for exhibits for one job, and sewing dog collars and clothing for another one. 

You’re quite the craft aficionado; why did you decide to do GIGANTIC cross stitches that say pretty ridiculous things?
My friend Erin and I came up with the giant cross-stitch idea for an art battle. We needed to make something that would entertain people while we were making it. We had been doing weekly craft nights and working on smaller cross-stitch projects, so we just decided to make a huge one for the art battle. Since I had experience sewing giant things, I was able to figure out how to blow up the cross-stitch and make it gigantic. Anyone that knows me knows that I’m always saying ridiculous things - so it just made sense to cross-stitch them, too!

How do you feel your art has affected the Detroit community?
The work I create is light-hearted, and I think it’s affected people by making them smile and/or inspiring them to dance.

What are your feelings on the art community in Metro Detroit? 
I love that the art community is small in Detroit - and that everyone seems to know each other. It’s very collaborative, and I’ve gotten the chance to work on some great projects with awesome people - opportunities that aren’t as easy to come by in a bigger city like Chicago or New York.  

What do you think the future holds for the city of Detroit? 
I think (and hope!) that it will only get better. I love that more people are moving to the city, and that new businesses keep popping up.

Lastly, you’re dog’s name is Mooshoo. That’s pretty ridiculous. What are the origins of the dog known as Mooshoo?
Mooshoo was a stray, found wandering the mean streets of Redford. I adopted her from the Humane Society about 11 years ago, and we’ve been best friends ever since. Sadly, I can’t take credit for her awesome name - she was named Mooshoo when I met her. Her only flaw is that she hates dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment